Fireworks can be enjoyed by everyone, provided they are used safely and responsibly. Follow our top tips to ensure you stay safe when attending or hosting a fireworks display.
- Check for the CE mark on your fireworks - and only buy fireworks that carry this accreditation
- Avoid drinking alcohol if you're the one responsible for setting fireworks off - it'll slow your judgment and could increase your risk of having an accident
- Always keep fireworks in a closed box when not in use
- Follow each individual fireworks' instructions - they're not all the same
- Light fireworks at arm's length using a taper and then stand well back
- Don't go near any fireworks that have been lit, even if they haven't gone off as they could still explode
- Make sure all children are supervised around fireworks and keep your pets indoors
- Ensure you wear gloves when lighting and using sparklers and only light one at a time
- Avoid letting off noisy fireworks after 11pm
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
For fireworks in York we are just a stone's throw away - our store is open all year round and our friendly team are on hand to help you select fireworks for the perfect display.